After providing nearly 4 months of trouble-free service, the Gatorskins I installed on my bike finally succumbed to the relentless attacks of thorns on my commute route. I was a little bit disappointed, as I have read so many good things about their puncture resistance, but this is already much better than the almost weekly flat tire repair I had to do before. To be fair, it has stopped several thorns that are about 3-4 mm in length during this time, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
Instead of jumping on the bus or calling Ann for help this time, I decided my tools should start to pay for themselves. The Topeak Mini G MasterBlaster Bike Pump I have been carrying in the bag worked okay; it is easy to get up to 60 psi, difficult to get up to 75 psi, and becomes painful beyond that. Nonetheless, it is good enough to get me home, and better yet, I still managed to beat the bus.